The major in Gender & Sexuality Studies offers students a comprehensive understanding of the intersections between gender studies and sexuality studies across the humanities and social sciences and their relation to historical and contemporary feminist and LGBT activism.
(From 2022 Catalog) *Please note that these requirements fulfill the stand-alone major
Major in Gender & Sexuality Studies
1. Two Core Courses:
- GNDR_ST 220 Sexual Subjects: Introduction to Sexuality Studies
- GNDR_ST 230 Traditions in Feminist Thought
2. Two Theory Courses:
- GNDR_ST 381 Queer Theory
- GNDR_ST 397 Feminist Theory
3. Two Research Courses:
- GNDR_ST 350-3, -4 or -6 Research Seminar in Gender & Sexuality Studies
- GNDR_ST 396 Senior Capstone Seminar
4. Five additional courses, including at least three at the 300-level. At least one course must have an historical focus (e.g., 233, 321, 324). At least one course must have a transnational focus (e.g., 250, 341, 353, 363, 380, 382)
5. Four related courses including at least two at the 300-level. Gender & Sexuality Studies courses (including co- or cross-listed) may be counted. Other courses that focus on gender and/or sexuality but are not co- or cross-listed may be approved by the Director of Undergraduate Studies.